Parents and teachers can agree that sometimes you just need to put on a movie. Especially with parents and guardians now taking on additional household roles of chefs, employees, bosses, PE teachers, AND educators, we want to equip you with a chance to take a break. But, you won’t find us encouraging just any mindless flick—why not make it educational?
Here are 3 STEM movies and discussion questions to keep young learners thinking critically while parents and guardians capitalize on some well-deserved R & R.
1. A Bug’s Life
A colony of ants finds itself in a sticky situation when a group of grasshoppers tries to take over. Flik is an ant who works and creates as he finds a new spot for his community.
- Problem Solving
- Planet/Life Science
- Did the ant colony free itself from the domination of the grasshoppers because of Flik alone, or did all the ants have to work together?
- What did Flik say to Dot about being small, about being a seed?
- Who in this movie was different from the other bugs? Was being different good or bad?
In a desolate no man’s land, Wall-E the robot works to compact the trash left by humankind. Then comes a drone sent from the humans’ space station—Eve. With a small exchange, Wall-E immediately falls in love with Eve. As Wall-E and Eve develop their relationship, the couple saves humankind!
- Climate Change/The Environment
- Personal Responsibility
- What do you think will happen after the movie ends? What will the humans do when they return to Earth? What will life be like for Wall-E and Eve?
- Is there any possibility that the real Earth will suffer the fate that the Earth shown in the movie suffered?
- Why did the humans have to leave the Earth?
3. Big Hero 6
Robotics prodigy Hiro’s closest friend is Baymax. Baymax was created to take care of people. When a series of events turns Baymax, Hiro, and his friends into a band of tech heroes, the world may never be the same!
- What makes Baymax, “Baymax”?
- What is the robotic invention from Hiro?
- What do you need to say to deactivate Baymax?